Menu
Cart 0

From Atkins to Paleo, and Now Keto to Eco-Keto?

Posted by Carmen Chu on

 

We’ve witnessed the evolution of low carb dieting through the years and now with the keto diet taking the world by storm, what could possibly be next?

 

If you are still learning what keto is, we have a great article for you to understand what this lifestyle is all about and its benefits.   Click here to read!  

 

Without getting too scientific, a ketogenic diet is essentially eating very minimal carbs and forcing your body to produce ketones, which is an alternative fuel source for the body as opposed to glucose (from carbs).  Essentially, your diet should consist of 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, and 5% carbs (ex. broccoli carbs… not bread carbs haha!)

keto food pyramid

Credit Source: Tasteaholics

 

As you can see, this diet is already rather limiting with many of the foods coming from animals and their by-products, both of which are quite detrimental to the environment.  

 

So that is why when we came across this recent diet phenomenon called the Eco-Keto lifestyle, we knew we had to write about it.

So, What is the Eco-Keto Diet?

The eco-keto diet follows the same low-carb, high-fat principles but in a way that is much more environmentally-friendly because this is the vegan version of the keto diet.  I suppose people who were vegan to begin with didn’t agree with eating high fat animal products but still wanted to reap the benefits of this lifestyle.  

 

Now you must be thinking, “Keto is already so difficult to follow and now you want us to entirely take out another food group?!!”

 

Since vegans are often associated with eating a lot of carbs, how can you possibly follow a keto version of veganism without eating meat?

 

Well, here’s what an Eco-Keto Food Pyramid would look like.

vegan keto pyramid

Credit source: Dr. Jockers

Essentially, the goal of a vegan keto-dieter is to eat:

  • Plenty of plant-based fats
  • Some plant-based proteins coming from protein powders, nuts, and seeds
  • As few carbs as possible (There is bit more leniency to eco-keto as some people have modified their carb and protein consumption to allow for more flexibility for more vegan foods.  This approach is called Mod Keto.   For this version, carbs are raised to about 20% of your total caloric intake, Protein to 20–40% (ex. Tempeh, Organic fermented soy products, and Plant-based protein powder), and Fat is reduced to 40–60%.

 

Here is a Comprehensive Eco-Keto Foods List guide that you can use on your next grocery trip!

vegan keto foods list

Yes, this approach is technically not ketogenic-friendly as your body most likely won’t be able to produce the same fat burning ketones as the typical keto ratios.

 

However, the argument for this P-F-C breakdown is that the higher protein and carb allowance can also fuel your fat-burning workouts while still maintaining stable blood sugar levels.

 

So if you plan on going keto but worried that the environmental footprint will be too big, you can consider the Eco-Keto Diet/Mod Keto as the impact to the planet is much less severe.  Personally, it seems this approach seems to be extremely limiting and it may be very difficult to sustain in the long run. Thus, a vegetarian keto approach would be suggested over vegan keto if you wanted to lessen the impact on the environment while getting a more wider range of foods.

 

Ultimately, it’s always best to consult with a physician or a healthcare professional to ensure that your body gets the appropriate vitamins and minerals it needs before making any lifestyle changes.

 

If you are interested in going keto, we’ve got a wide range of products in our Keto Collection (most of which are vegetarian and vegan friendly!).  

 

Click here to Shop Keto now!


Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.